Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Adelia Hall (1870-1908)

The seventh child born to John Charles and Kezia was a bouncing baby girl. She was born on January 28, 1870 at their home in Rockville. She was a pretty baby with lots of dark hair and big blue eyes, and naturally enough, brought much joy to her parents, even with the dirty diapers and formulas. When she was given the name of Adelia and a father's blessing, she became a definite personality. Her childhood was a happy one as are the first years of most little children. There were no supervised play grounds equipped with swings, slides, merry go rounds and teeter totters, so the nearby grove of trees and the river bed substituted as a recreation center for those growing pioneer children in southern Utah. Many were the skinned knees and bumped noses and "cops and robbers" and "Indian" reached a pinnacle in the afternoon play.

Rockville, then a thriving community, was quite naturally the "only community of consequence" to the youth of that day. Along the main street a double row of mulberry trees were planted by the first families who settled there. Every means of self support was employed by those first energetic and faithful pioneers who came to Rockville. Some of the settlers were of French and Italian ancestry and had brought with them their knowledge of a trade from the 'old country', so it was that immediately on settlement in Rockville the mulberry trees were planted and nurtured to maturity for the purpose of silkworm culture. To the children, however, the huge mulberry trees meant only quiet, cool shade from the warm afternoon sunshine. Their worries were minor, a broken doll head or a lost wagon wheel. Little did they realize the struggle of their parents to develop sufficiently to clothe and feed their young ones.

Adelia's father, John Charles, was one of the many men who contributed to the small community of Rockville by his trade. He worked hard and faithfully for the beauty and securement of his home and land. His home was a happy, inviting place for Adelia and her brothers and sisters. He was a strict man in regards to the Gospel and insisted that the entire family faithfully attend all Sunday services and read the scriptures all day that they might keep the Sabbath Day. So it was natural enough for Adelia to have a deep respect and love for her parents and her Church.

On her birthday, when Adelia was eight years old, on January 28, 1878, she was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of. Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Though her sojourn in this earth was to be cut short, great were Adelia's blessings from that day forward. The fundamental Christian virtues so outstanding in the Character of Adelia, such as honesty, humility and loyalty to God, were instilled in her by her mother as a child at her knee and her teachings she never forgot. She was always active, both in a church and community capacity and always responded cheerfully to any call made of her: She was very religious and was a respected and likeable leader among her girl friends. She possessed a lively interest and concern for all her friends and neighbors. She endeared herself to all who knew her.

She could play the guitar, harmonica, and org an, the latter she played in all church services. She was a beautiful alto singer and was always the outstanding alto in the church choir. Her talents came naturally and needed no training. After she married, Adelia and her husband, Alonzo, would entertain in most all the gatherings and programs given in their community. Her husband could play the same instruments and often they would play them together, or Alonzo" would play the quitar and whistle while Adelia sang alto.

Parades were the delight of Adelia Hall. She had many talents and loved to perform in parades and such activities to make a success of any undertaking for the benefit of the church or community. Her hometown was a small settlement where everyone knew and helped their neighbor. Hardships and trials kept these small groups working and playing together, so that the entire community found happiness in their associations.

Whenever there was sickness, a neighbor would lend assistance and share the necessities of life with those in need. Likewise, whenever there was any enjoyment, it was shared by all who desired to mingle in song and entertainment. Adelia was one who could bring happiness and pleasure to her friends and neighbors by her radiant personality and willingness to participate in all activities. Because she was a beautiful alto singer and loved to dance, her young life was filled with song and happiness.

She was a champion swimmer and horse back riding was another of her favorite hobbies and talents. She could handle a team of horses like a man, and she was continually being noticed and complimented because of the way she had with horses.

On one occasion, when Adelia was a grown young woman, a very dear friend of hers was getting married. Circumstances had made it impossible for the young friend to have a new dress for the most important occasion in her life, her marriage. Adelia, sensing the disappointment of her friend, unhesitatingly insisted the girl wear a frilly, new dress which she, herself, had not worn. It was the dress Adelia had been keeping for the special event in her own life, her marriage, but she received happiness and satisfaction in knowing she had brightened the wedding day of her best girl friend just a little bit more by her unselfish gesture.

To Adelia, as to every young girl, marriage was the primary thought. So, when she married Alonzo Dalton on September 17, 1889 at Rockville, she was but nineteen years old, her happiness seemed complete. As she stood beside Alonzo wearing that same special dress, and murmured "I do", she was a very excited and proud girl. The fact that her dress had adorned another young bride in no way dampened the ecstatic happiness of Adelia as she became the wife and companion of Alonzo Dalton.

During her entire young life, Adelia had harkened to the example and teachings of her father and mother, who had taught their children to work and play together unselfishly. So when Adelia had loaned her dress to her girl friend, she had done so not with any sense of duty, but because she actually wanted to do it. Sincere pleasure had come to her in doing so.

Hardships and trials seemed to find their way into the lives of those hardworking and joyous young people. That is one reason why the joys of life seemed so good to Adelia and her young husband. They were blessed with nine children, most of whom were born in Rockville. One of their children, Lyndon Hyrum, was born as the family was on their way to Long Valley, so their son was born unattended at Kanebeds, Utah. This little son was afflicted with ill health until he died about six years later.

During the time they were living at Rockville, one of Adelia's friends died and left an infant son, besides other children who were older. One of the children's grandparents took care of the older children, but she was too old to take the infant son, so Adelia offered to take the baby and care for it until the father, Danny Hirschi, could find a home for it. Adelia and Alonzo kept the tiny baby for one year and came to love it as they did their own children. All who knew her loved her for her kindness and generosity. She was never too busy to help anyone who was in need of anything, both material and spiritual.

In 1907, the family moved to Hurricane. They were among the first families to move into the Valley, which was a desolate looking lake flat covered with nothing but chaparral and sagebrush,. The settlement and building of this community, like many other communities, was successful. for out of the wilderness of sagebrush and other semi desert plants arose the beautiful little city of Hurricane, a monument to the industry and loyalty of those courageous pioneers. Beauty and peace for the tired souls, and aching bodies after a difficult day of toil was to be found in that little valley nestled at the foot of a giant volcanic fault. In the evening after a busy day in the fields or in the tiny homes which dotted the valley, as the moon appeared over the "Hurricane Fault" and shone brightly on the sagebrush! and chaparral, rest came quickly to those who stopped to see the beauty put there by their Creator.

Desert in the moonlight gave food for thought to the worn and weary pioneers who determined to build a future in that lonely valley.

As new areas were set apart for settlement, saints were called to move on and others went of their own accord to help further the growth and spread of the Church. So it was that Alonzo and his family found themselves building a new home in the Hurricane Valley. Plans were immediately made for their new endeavor, and Adelia, who loved flowers and trees, promptly planted a little cottonwood tree on the ditch bank near her home. She protected and cared for the tree and it grew to be the largest tree in Hurricane. It became a beloved landmark and gathering place for all the children in the neighborhood.

For the pioneers, whenever they moved to build a new community, their church was one of the first tasks to be taken care of, so plans were immediately started for a new church in Hurricane. Before a building dedicated to the purpose of housing all church activities was built, Sunday School was held in someone's home during the winter months and in the brewery in the summer, Adelia had been asked to be the Relief Society president and had accepted, but she passed away before the Relief Society was ever organized. Before leaving Rockville, she had served as first counselor in the Mutual Improvement Association about the time she married. She also had been one of the Primary officers while living in Rockville. Because of the religious training she had received during her childhood, Adelia had a firm testimony of the Gospel and was ever a willing servant in the work of the Lord.

On January 11, 1908, about one year after their arrival in Hurricane, their nineth child, Adelia Arvillea, was born to Adelia
and Alonzo Dalton. There was much joy and excitement in the Dalton household at the arrival of the new baby. But the happiness of the family was short lived for nineteen days later Adelia died. The furneral for Adelia was held in the brewery located next to the schoolhouse, which at that time was not completely built.

Her life on this earth was cut short because she had a greater and more important work to do further along in the great plan of progression. Adelia was the first to be buried in the new cemetery at Hurricane. At her passing the family was deprived of, not only a good and kind wife and mother, but a friend whose heart was ever right and whose actions were always in harmony with the dictates of a correct conscience. Just before she died she instinctively thought of her family. She urged her husband to remain at work on the school building in order that the children would soon go to school in it.

So befitting of Adelia, her sparkling personality, and her willingness to serve, are these beautiful lines in rhyme:

My life is but a weaving between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colors He worketh steadily.
Oftimes He weaveth sorrow and I, in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper and I the underside.
Not till the loom is silent and the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas and explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful in the weaver's skillful hand
As threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned.
He knows, He loves, He cares! Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those who leave the choice to Him.

No comments:

Where Are You?

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!